Everyone wants a 'pat on the back' to make them feel good. Employees respond to appreciation expressed through recognition of their good work because it confirms their work is valued. The consequence of recognition is
- Increased job satisfaction- various forms of recognition increases morale and motivates employees
- Productivity- employees take ownership of their work; extend themselves beyond the assigned duties to make their work better. It has been seen that recognized and appreciated employees perform better than others who do not feel appreciated.
- Ultimately increased value for one's organization
How to become visible for work and gain appreciation? Here are few tips:
- One can update their manager on progress of work- It is important to communicate to the manager on the progress of work, at times most of the work goes invisible because of the outcome it has not seen. Your attempts should be made invisible!
- Invite feedback, and ask on how to deal with challenges- Pay attention to feedback and ask for alternatives when you feel stuck
- Be the team player- Your work on your assigned duties would go invisible if you are difficult to be around with. Be someone who makes it easy for people to have around.
Conversely, managers can use different forms of token of appreciation, some of which are:
- Have timely feedback; make it as personalized as possible. People appreciate personal and specific comments for their work and contribution. An instant "Job well done" boosts the motivation of the employee and gives them the satisfaction of work.
- Always share positives that you hear about your employees from others.
- Organize celebrations- Not just the employee achievements but the team's milestones that needs to celebrated as well
betterLYF can help you introduce a personalized recognition programs for your company designed specially around the culture you have or you want to build.